Quick overview intended to help to know where to commit to right now in most situations. See Branches section below for more detailed explanations.
- All commits need to start in trunk/master** For example if you want to make a fix to 12.x LTS, please commit the fix to trunk/master first then backport to 18.x, and then to 15.x and finally to 12.x. For more details, see the table below.
- Upcoming releases:
- 19.2, 18.4 LTS, 15.8 LTS and 12.15 LTS will be the next versions released.
Commit status and order for each open branch:
|I want to commit to:||What is allowed:||Commit first to:||Afterwards , backport to:|
|trunk/master (future 20x)||Functional enhancements, new features||19.x|
|19x||Safe minor enhancements, fixes and translations||trunk||18.x|
|18x||Safe minor enhancements, fixes and translations LTS||19.x||15.x|
|15x||Fixes only LTS||18.x||12.x|
|12x||Critical fixes only LTS||15.x|
The other branches are closed, and no releases are planned. So there is no point in committing there.
|Dev||trunk/master(will become 20.x branch in future)||Most development (new features) happens here. New features, need to be functional, but don't need to be complete. In theory, should be releasable at any time. This is the place for refactoring. Cosmetic code changes should be done here. |
Also: Update language stringsIf you must change the English version (but are not changing the meaning and so the translations are still valid, please use mass spelling correction. If you can't use that, just add to pending text corrections.. If you commit to trunk/master, and after you want to commit to a stable branch, please see how to merge a commit from trunk/master.
|Stable||branches/19.x||Minor (and safe) enhancements and fixes backported from trunk|
|Stable LTS||branches/18.x||Minor (and extra safe) enhancements and fixes. Backport from 19.x|
|Stable LTS||branches/15.x||Security and bug fixes. Backport from 18.x.|
|Previous Stable LTS||branches/12.x||Only security fixes and translations. Backport from 15.x.|
|Experimental branches||many||All developments for things that are not stable enough yet or just intended as proof of concept before the real work starts. These branches will never become a released branch directly, the author of the experimental branch must move the functionality in the Dev branch when it's ready.|
- The "security-only" of the LTS period is intended for security fixes, but could include a few bug fixes as well.
- We will review security vulnerabilities reported to the Security Team
- Publish a fix or a way to deactivate the feature.
- If the included code doesn't have a patch for that version
- What if a security vulnerability requires major code changes, that are not suitable for LTS?
- We'll disable the feature via System Configuration so you can can choose to use it knowing the risks, decide not to use it, or upgrade.
- The documentation at doc.tiki.org is kept up to date for more recent versions, so expect to see there some documentation about features not available in your Tiki.
- Commits to LTS must have been developed and tested previously on higher branches (at least trunk/master) unless they do not apply there (for example, a fix to a feature that was removed later). See here for more info.
- The community will handle merges from stable to dev, with help from a merging script during Semi-automatic merging period
- On stable branches, try to avoid any changes to the database as this complicates things and increases possibilities for errors. If you must, please see: Database Schema Upgrade
- If you must change the English version (but are not changing the meaning and so the translations are still valid, please use Mass spelling correction. If you can't use that, just add to Pending text corrections
- If we are close to a release, and you have a change with a risk of regression, try to consult the release manager.
- There are some things that are black and white and there are many shades of gray. In case of doubt, ask on the Dev Mailing List
There are no more planned releases of versions prior to 12, as well as versions 13, 14, 16 and 17. If you are running one and commit a fix , please merge manually your fix to the appropriate branch.[+]