Social bookmarking is a new and useful way to collaboratively navigate and filter content. See this video for a simple explanation:
For public Tiki sites, del.icio.us is all the users need to bookmark & tag bits of the site, along with the rest of the public Internet. For private, internal-only sites, del.icio.us is not an option, but social bookmarking would still help users navigate the site and find content. While Tiki includes both bookmarks and tags, they're not currently integrated, and the bookmarks are not social.
This plan aims to implement truly social bookmarking within a Tiki installation and improve the overall usability of the bookmarking and tagging features.
- Easy to bookmark a page via module with one click.
- Easy to delete own bookmarks with one click.
- Ready access to own bookmarks via module or tiki-user_bookmarks.
- Easy to tag a page via module.
- Tagging is social - users can see and use tags that other users have applied.
- Users can't see other users' bookmarks.
- Bookmarks and Freetags not integrated; e.g. can't filter tag search results for bookmarked items only.
- Bookmarks and Watches not integrated; e.g. no automatic watches placed on bookmarked items.
- Bookmark folders are awkward to manage (worse than IE favorites).
- No module for searching tags.
- No interface for searching bookmarks.
- No automatic tag suggestion list as user types in Folksonomy module input box. (Needs feature similar to 4.x "Quick edit" module to help prevent near-identical tags.)
- Large tag clouds obscure (a) tag search results and (b) the fact that clicking a tag has placed it into the input box.
- Sort options don't appear to do anything different on tiki-browse_freetags.
- diigo one step further in social bookmarking
- Other wiki applications that include this feature? Xwiki? Mindtouch? Socialtext?
- Admins can choose the default public status of bookmarks.
- Admins can choose to allow users to override the default public status.
- If admin allows, users can choose to make their bookmarks public by default or not, overriding the admin setting.
- Module can show designated sub-set of frequently accessed bookmarks (populated automatically or designated by user?)
- Module contains link to bookmarks page.
- Users can make individual bookmarks public or private when bookmarking.
- Rejected requirement: Folders not needed (if bookmarks can be integrated with tags!)
- Primary filter: Users can select which user's bookmarks to display: their own, another user's, or all users'.
- Secondary filter: Users can also filter by tags.
- Users can sort bookmark list by item name, popularity (number of bookmarking users), date bookmarked by user (own bookmarks), privacy status (own bookmarks) and tags.
- Users can change public/private status of individual (own) bookmarks.
- Dynamic list of suggestions for existing tags as user types (similar to "Quick Edit..." module capability).
- Search results become immediately visible upon execution. (Tag cloud collapses, or is positioned side-by-side with search results.)
- User can search freetags via module, with dynamic list of suggestions for existing tags as user types in input field. This could be implemented in:
- An existing module like the regular search or folksonomy modules, with an option to search tags (preferred), or
- A new freetags search module.
Social Bookmarking. Atlassian Developer Network.
Confluence Social Bookmarking Plugin. Plugins.atlassian.com.