Tiki has historically been mostly an asynchronous collaborative tool, except for Live Support and Chat. Since Tiki5, for real-time collaboration, Tiki offers an integration with BigBlueButton (Audio/Video/Screensharing/WhiteBoard/Chat).
This page is to discuss options to make several features realtime:
- Docs (ODF documents via WebODF)
- Drawing (SVG-edit)
- Spreadsheet (jQuery.sheet)
Will be useful along with BigBlueButton collaborative sessions. Ideally for Tiki, it would be the same approach (ex.: library) for all four (and any future) features. And we could take this opportunity to revamp Live Support and Chat (which work OK but are not the most recent technology)
One possibility is to go the BigBlueButton route.
- Already integrates with Tiki
- it would be via Shared Notes which is part of Mconf
- Add BigBlueButton as a requirement
Another possibility is integrating with Etherpad Lite
Which uses NodeJS, more info at
- Already active project
- Adds Etherpad Lite as a requirement
- Overlap with some of Tiki's wiki functionality
- Will it be easy to port to Spreadsheet, Drawing and Docs?
Infinote & Jinfinote
- Synchroedit: SynchroEdit is a browser-based simultaneous multiuser editor, a form of same-time, different-place groupware. It allows multiple users to edit a single web-based document at the same time, and it continuously synchronizes all changes so that users always have the same version. http://www.synchroedit.com (LGPL & MPL)
- Dimdidm (open source version abandoned)
- http://code.google.com/p/openmeetings/ (moved to Apache Foundation)
- For realtime note taking (business, classroom,etc.)
- For realtime brainstorming (business, classroom,etc.)
- For realtime document revision (articles, minutes of meeting, protocols, etc.)
- your ideas?
- Robert Plummer
- Marc Laporte
- Régis Barondeau
No set date, but as soon as possible. 2013-08 looked into WebRTC, still moving a bit too much for me - one of those "wait a few months and try again"
This is to plan the addition of multiple concurrent editors to the wiki.
Tiki bundles WebODF as Tiki Docs.
"pilot project to add real-time collaborative editing to WebODF":
- React: Event-driven, non-blocking I/O with PHP
- Ratchet: WebSockets for PHP