- 2 Git Tips
Git is being used to implement an additional contribution process via a Distributed version control system for the Tiki community. The reasons, pros and cons are documented on Distributed revision control page.
Despite the benefits of using Git, there are many concerns about how each contributor will behave, work and what kind of problems they will find on their daily activities. So, this document and derived pages are an attempt to guess what knowledge a Tiki developer should have for contributing to Tiki.
- Using Git with Tiki basic instructions on checking out tiki with Git
- Git Tips show some tips on how to do various tasks with Git
- What ToDo When Migrating To Git documents efforts in migration to Git, considering the whole workflow and release scripts that have to be updated.
- Git Workflow discuss an ideal workflow which would be possible once everything has been moved to Git.
- Git and SVN combined workflow details the workflow behind Git and SVN integration
There is a combined workflow using SVN and Git to make a more smooth transition and less impact on daily activities of Tiki developers. This workflow can be found on Git and SVN combined workflow page and it details how is the integration of SVN and Git now.
Also, the current phase of migration strategy involves writing enough documentation and close write access to SVN repository, making it read-only. Probably soon, we will have a Round Table Meeting to check if it is time to close SVN. Only once the following is done can we talk about closing write access to the SVN repo.
- The Git workflow is compelling enough that the majority of developers want to move to it
- All those who would like some support / training have received it.
- The Git-related documentation is ready (we need something equivalent as what we have for SVN)
- The relevant automated scripts (such as the release scripts) have all been ported to use Git
- There is a strategy for usernames (how to request access, etc.)
- Setup workflow to work with Git and SVN
- Write documentation
- Talk on Round Table Meeting about Git
- Setup help channel for developers struggling with Git
- Close SVN write access
- Publish the new Tiki repository
Distributed revision control has discussions which led to Git being the best option.