The concept of organic groups is that they can be born, grow and die without requiring the involvement of an administrator. More specifically, these are groups that are created by users and then subsequently managed by the creators of those groups by themselves (and also possibly other group leaders that they choose to add as well).
See also the documentation on the doc site: Organic Groups
At two:TikifestFosdem2016 it was decided that there would be a need to enhance the core capabilities within Tiki to have the concept of Roles before doing Organic Groups, otherwise it would be difficult to manage a larger number of groups that have already been created in the longer run. The development of that the Organic Groups Addon Proof of Concept will continue after the development work for Roles is complete.
But in general, it would already be possible to configure organic groups like functionality, even though management of groups could be somewhat cumbersome.
Target for Tiki
4.0 14.0, after a few TikiFests in 2014.
- inherit permissions. New content inherits permission from parent onjects, and with wiki pages, inherits permissions from the first backlink (page it was created from).
In the event a user is a member of multiple organic groups, they are prompted to choose - "Categorize as Group/workspace ___ ? (with checkboxes for multiple groups)"
- organic groups categorization is a separate category permission. a user who is a member of an organic group does not require categorize perms. All group members can add but only group owners/moderators can remove objects.
Define Groups of users. DONE
Allow new groups to be created by users DONE (Technically with profiles and data channels is possible).
Users can join groups at registration. DONE
Submission form exists to join groups. DONE
Some menu items and content displays only for group. DONE
Groups can be "open" or "closed" DONE
- open groups:
can be joined by anyoneDONE
- moderator can ban or remove users from group
- closed groups
- invite or apply only
- Should be able to have a picture for a group
- Need a nice way to list all groups
Creating a group automatically creates a category of the same name with group only access.
combined group/category permission interface - for the "workspace"
idea: a secure group is a group such that it is not possible to create non-group content. A private group is one where content is "secure" by default but not mandatory.
- "secure groups" such that all new content created by group members is categorized autoamtically in the category for that group.
If an object is created by group member a prompt appears on first save
"Categorize as Group/workspace ___ ? (with checkboxes for multiple groups) "
- this popup does not require categorize perms so all group members can add but not all can remove objects.
if tracker linked to a group, subscribe from Plugin SUBSCRIBEGROUP should go to insert tracker item: link to Bug/RFE
shoutbox specific for group.
internal message to group.
group activity statistics.
invite to group by email.
email (newsletter) to group DONE
All groups have 1 "owner" and >1 "moderators"
- transfer owner to other moderator
- create/remove moderators
- disband group with "remove" or "make public" option for group objects.
- add or remove objects from group
- assing view or edit permissions to members.
- invite, approve and remove members.