Goal: Identify great ideas (and if possible code) from other FLOSS projects and implement them to Tiki.
Most web apps tend to have a small core and have features in separately installed modules. Tiki has an all-in-one model and has become the FLOSS Web Application with the most built-in features.
In general, members of the Tiki community don't understand why a popular feature is not part of the core download. In general, members of the other communities don't understand how all the features are bundled in Tiki and that it's not chaos
Also, different software architectures result in having different things as theme vs a module. For example, in Tiki, themes are look & feel and presentation and don't have functionality. Thus, if you change themes, you never loose functionality. OTOH, you can't add functionality via a theme. See Tiki vs WordPress. In Drupal, they have modules for some things that we'd handle via a theme in Tiki. Ex.: wp_comments.
So let's take a look at the most popular features of the other most popular web apps, and see which ones ares interesting (and that we'll add to Tiki core). Related: Major Features Missing In Tiki
- Most popular Drupal modules
- management of 301 -> URL Rewriting Revamp
- the fact that the admin interface is not themed (useful if you are making a funky design)
- This has now been added to Tiki10: Admin -> Look & Feel -> Theme -> Admin Theme
- Parsing emails & .csv
- Encryption: Do you want to make sure that your files remain secure on the server? With the Encryption Application enabled, all files stored on the ownCloud server are encrypted to your password. This is helpful if you store your files on an untrusted storage outside the ownCloud server. Add to this an SSL connection, and your files are secure while in motion and at rest.
- Sync Your Data: Keep your files, contacts, photo galleries, calendars and more synchronized amongst your devices. One folder, two folders and more – get the most recent version of your files with the desktop and web client or mobile app of your choosing, at any time.
- Chamilo & Tiki share a lot of the same libs (jCapture, SVG-edit, Bootstrap, ec.), so let's keep an eye for fine stuff they find
- Chamilo has the older version of https://github.com/jhuckaby/webcamjs
- https://www.openhub.net/p/phraseanet is a Digital Asset Management tool, which has many interesting libs as seen here: https://packagist.org/packages/phraseanet/phraseanet and the same team maintains https://www.openhub.net/p/media-alchemyst https://packagist.org/packages/media-alchemyst/media-alchemyst a suite of libraries to manage all kinds of files (media / office / etc. )
- Phraseanet 4.0 Elastic Release (May 2016) now uses Elasticsearch