Maybe some of you will think of this as a "marketinhg" thing, but let's face it : for most users on the Web "wiki" is synonym with "MediaWiki-powered sites that look like wikipedia".
What I propose is to create the theme and tools to facilitate migration of mediawiki powered sites to tikiwiki the (very) easy way : fill a form during install that points to the Mediawiki database, and extract all the info to automagically populate the Tiki. I'm willing to participate, but I do not feel I have the required knowledge at this moment to be able to do something useful in the coding part : I know little to no PHP or MySQL stuff, I even wasn't able to install Tiki properly here (shame on me).
What I see as important work items :
- theme creation : to get a similar look&feel as wikipedia.
- content copy : to get all pages in mediawiki in the tiki database
- markup translation : to replace all (or most) of the wiki markup
- discussion web (since tiki has no "discussion page" structure, but allows many parallel sites, I'd propose to make it a www.site.tld and talk.site.tld
- optionally, multi-lingual recovery : being able to get all the different language versions of a site in one synchronized entity would be fabulous. To be evaluated separately, as it could be also very difficult to get consistency without a lot of manual matching between pages.
- attachments consideration : how to go from a "common image library" towards the tiki way
- other feature matching : I believe that all mediawiki features should be evaluated and for each, explanation given of why/how Tiki is superior.
|No attachments for this item|