As part of the AdminUIRevamp project, I've started looking at the very first thing a new Tiki admin will see: the Installer screens.
Some general changes (improvements, I hope):
- Added the Tiki logo (with link) to the top of every page. Can anyone confirm that the img\tiki\tikilogo.png is the correct, current logo? ML: we need better logo with "Groupware" in it.
- NEED new logo
- Added the Powerd by Tiki button (with link) to the bottom of every page.
- Renamed "Tiki" to "TikiWiki" (that's the name, right?) ML: TikiWiki CMS/Groupware
- NEED new logo
- Moved the Reload link from the top of the page (this should not be the first thing a new Admin sees for an installation) and renamed it to Restart. ML: good change
- Minor editorial changes for consistence, sentence structure, punctuation, etc. ML: you are great at these Rick.
My updated TPL and PHP files are attached to this page, please feel free to download and test. I do not have a multitiki installation available for me for testing.... ML: During the Blitzweekend, Louis-Philippe improved some things on the installer. I think you may have to re-introduce your fixes.
- I (ricks99) rebuilt, based on the lastest from head.
No big changes. I did create a disabled text field for the username to make it clear that you are loggin in as the admin user. ML: sounds good to me.
Primarily editorial and UI changes here.
- The submit button is now labeled Connect (instead of "Submit Query"). ML: sounds good.
- Tiki will display the connection defaults (existing values in the local.db file. Previously, it was possible to have the fields blank and still connect! ML: I don't understand
- This required a slight edit to the tiki-install.php file.
I made the two options (Install and Upgrade) side-by-side. Previously they were stacked and the "Upgrade" options appeared "below-the-fold" and could be easily missed. ML: hmmm, I thought this has been done before...
I added a warning icon to the upgrade script to alert users to backup their database first. ML: yes!
- Also added warning icon about re-installing over an exiting DB
I grouped the "Do Nothing", "Reset DB Connection", and "Restart Installer" options together, at the bottom of the page. ML: yes!
- Updated explicit instructions for which script to run.
I also added some basic error-checking. For example, if there are no PRF files (profiles), Tiki will indicate this condition. Previously, a empty drop box selector was shown.
ML: sounds good
Again, mainly UI and text edits here.
- I moved the success box to the top. Previously it was shown below the SQL failures. Newbies need to see (as the first thing) that they've successfully installed Tiki! ML: sounds good
- Done. It also not indicates if you have competed an install or an upgrade.
- Added a direct link in the success box that jumps directly to the Important Notes. ML: ok, (I guess)
- Added some basic icons as a way draw attention. ML: excellent
- In the Entering TikiWiki section, I made it obvious which link is normally used. ML: excellent
- Done. The failures are now hidden by default. If displayed, there's a note indicating that "duplicate table" errors are normal during an upgrade.