Make Tiki easier to install, easier to upgrade, easier to backup, faster, less resource-intensive, more secure, and more robust on various server settings. Once Tiki is installed, making it easier to administer is covered by AdminUIRevamp
The main tool is TRIM, which may be superseded by Configuration Management and Systems Orchestration
It could include:
- improvements to the documentation
- improvements to the code
- adding feedback mechanisms to detect, report and deal with issues.
Project would include aspects of :
- Automatic Updates
- Install and Profiles
- URL handling
- Server Check
- Search engine optimization because it's often server-specific
- Server errors common to shared hosting (ex.: open_basedir)
- Anything that is db or server-specific (ex.: we have a mysql-only search, it should be greyed out when using other DB)
Is there a way to detect tables which need to be repaired?Now in Tiki Check
LAMP (Linux+Apache+Mysql+PHP) is abundantly tested but there are sometimes some minor issues with Windows (IIS or Apache). How could we improve the situation for less used configurations?Should be added to Tiki Check as we go
- Get test accounts/guinea pigs with top-5 or 10 cheap hosts. Real users that report issues. Procedures go to documentation. -> Testing Tiki installations on major Shared Hosting companies
- Bug reporting feature for certain types of errors (SQL errors, etc)
- Make sure Fantastico installs & upgrades are well handled. Work with Communication Team to get Tiki added to other installers -> 1-click installers
Secdb automatic check with cron jobcancelled
- Lower memory consumption and/or have a <8 Meg mode
- More graceful error message when database is unavailable or crashed with email notification to admin
- See Monitoring
- Easier install of mods (especially themes) by using FTP like Joomla! to get around Apache permission limitations. related discussion on IRC
- Setup.sh and fixperms.sh have been merged. They should protect SVN directory so cron-secdb is efficient or maybe secdb should have two modes, cvs install and ftp install.
Warning system for getting hacked with cron job and optional notify tiki.org secdb + cron job should catch all for ftp installs
Mods enhance (at least the docs) for use with accounts that don't have shell.
- Identify the main issues/opportunities
- Identify who could work on the project
- Check how other open source projects do it.
- Prioritize and attack the point, one by one.
Possibly in this project.
Import and export stuff (ex.: importing data from other wikis or forums)
|Rating||Subject||Submitted by||Category||Importance||Easy to solve?||Priority||Volunteered to solve||LastModif||Coms|
|Optional reporting of anonymized usage stats (which features are used, how many accounts, etc)||marclaporte||Feature request|