- You have fixed something?
- You have added a feature?
- You want to share back?
The goal is to make the feature as generic as possible so it may be used in various contexts. Also, we must be sure it doesn't duplicate another existing feature.
See also: Freeze and Slush
Quick overview intended to help know where to commit to right now in most situations. See Branches section below for more detailed explanations.
- Automatic merging?: Yes, commits to 12x are semi-auto merged to trunk
- Avoid code-styling, documentation or other non-functional changes to trunk during this period
- Upcoming releases:
- 12.1 coming before the new year
Commit status and order for each open branch:
|I want to commit to:||What is allowed:||Commit first to:||Afterwards commit to:|
|13+||functional enhancements|| trunk
(enhancements only, do not commit fixes directly to trunk if they apply to previous versions)
|12x||fixes and minor enhancements for 12.1||NA|| - Bug fixes: 11x & 9x
- Security fixes: 11x, 9x & 6x
|11x||fixes only for 11.2||12x|| - Bug fixes: 9x
- Security fixes: 9x & 6x
|9x||fixes only||12x||Security fixes: 6x|
|6x||security fixes only||12x, 11x & 9x||NA|
|Next Stable LTS||branches/12.x||Bug and regression fixes only. Is currently being semi-auto merged to trunk so all fixes here will also appear in 13+ (but watch the svn list if you can to check your fixes are merged correctly) |
This will not continue for as long as usual due to the fundamental changes planned for Tiki13
|Stable||branches/11.x||Bug and regression fixes only.|
|Stable LTS||branches/9.x||Bug and regression fixes, and minor feature enhancements with little risk of regression are OK but must now (since 9.2) be back-ported from 12.x via 11.x. Later in the cycle, these commits also become reviewed by the Quality Team.|
|Dev||trunk (will become 13.x )||Most development (new features) happens here. New features, need to be functional, but don't need to be complete. In theory, should be releasable at any time. This is the place for refactoring. Cosmetic code changes should be done here after the Semi-automatic merging period has ended. Also: Update language stringsIf you must change the English version (but are not changing the meaning and so the translations are still valid, please use mass spelling correction. If you can't use that, just add to pending text corrections. . If you commit to trunk, and after you want to commit to a stable branch, please see how to merge a commit from trunk.|
|Old stable LTS||branches/6.x||Only security fixes and translations. Commits to LTS must have been developed and tested previously on higher branches (at least trunk) unless they do not apply there (for example, a fix to a feature that was removed later). See here for more info.|
|Mods||mods in trunk||If your feature is too specific or too experimental for the main branch, it can go into mods. Please read: To Mods Or Not To Mods. There are no branches for mods.|
|Experimental branches||many||All developments for things that are not stable enough yet or just intended as proof of concept before the real work starts. These branches will never become a released branch directly, the author of the experimental branch must move the functionality in the Dev branch when it's ready.|
Definition of "security-only" phase
- The "security-only" of the LTS period is intended for security fixes, but could include a few bug fixes as well.
- We will review security vulnerabilities reported to the Security Team
- Publish a fix or a way to deactivate the feature.
- If the included code doesn't have a patch for that version
- What if a security vulnerability requires major code changes, that are not suitable for LTS?
- We'll disable the feature via System Configuration so you can can choose to use it knowing the risks, decide not to use it, or upgrade.
- The documentation at doc.tiki.org is kept up to date for more recent versions, so expect to see there some documentation about features not available in your Tiki.
- The community will handle merges from stable to dev, with help from a merging script during Semi-automatic merging period
- On stable branches, try to avoid any changes to the database as this complicates things and increases possibilities for errors. If you must, please see: Database Schema Upgrade
- If you must change the English version (but are not changing the meaning and so the translations are still valid, please use mass spelling correction. If you can't use that, just add to Pending text corrections
- If we are close to a release, and you have a change with a risk of regression, try to consult the release manager.
- There are some things that are black and white and there are many shades of gray. In case of doubt, ask on the Dev Mailing List
1.9.x, 2.x, 3.xLTS, 4.x, 5.x, 7.x, 8.x and 10.x
There are no more planned releases of these versions. If you are running one and commit a fix , please merge manually your fix to the appropriate branch.