Loading...
 

In the trenches

November 19th, Strasbourg

Louis-Philippe Huberdeau Thursday 18 November, 2010

Still in a hotel lobby. I hope this won't become a recurring theme. On the road from Berlin to Strasbourg, I figured out a to reuse existing piece of abstraction to achieve a design objective I was struggling with.

The objective was quite simple. The indexer gathers a whole lot of information and stores it in various fields to be indexed. Depending on the type, some of those fields are can be retrieved, some not. You can configure the index store a copy of all the data, but that has a huge impact on the index size and memory requirements. Zend_Search_Lucene is a PHP implementation and comes with several limitations. Some fields are transformed to allow indexing anyway and cannot be reverted back to the original form.

The objective was to be able to retrieve the information from the database on the fly for the results. Essentially, it's the same work the content sources and global sources do. The issue is that the format was not quite right. The sources return the data encapsulated in objects indicating their type to allow different indexes to index them optimally. For example, multi-value fields like those used to index categories become a string of individual tokens generated by hashing values and replacing numbers, because lucene does not seem to like those.

The solution was quite simple. Sources already used a factory to select the proper implementation to use based on a reduced list of supported value types. Really all that was needed was to provide a different factory that would only provide pass-through implementations and retrieve the value. Simple, but not that obvious. I was really scared I would have to duplicate code for this, but it turns out the sources did not require any change to retrieve the data.

I implemented the design yesterday. Or maybe it was the day before. Can't tell. Now the unifies search can display any information it indexes, allowing for really powerful formatting that does not require knowing where the information is actually from.

I also added a value formatter to render any value as a link to the object. There wasn't really a way to link to the object before that. It did make the thing unusable, but it wasn't really critical. Anyway, going through there made be realize the way URLs are generated really is inconsistent. There are two smarty plugins, one function that is useless and one modifier that is really the only thing anyone should use. The category library also attempts to do it, but entirely ignores any sefurl configuration you may have. It should use the modifier's implementation. But later. There are more fun issues to deal with.

Next step is to write a generic table formatter for the unified search, then I think it will be ready for massive implementation.

Keywords

The following is a list of keywords that should serve as hubs for navigation within the Tiki development and should correspond to documentation keywords.

Each feature in Tiki has a wiki page which regroups all the bugs, requests for enhancements, etc. It is somewhat a form of wiki-based project management. You can also express your interest in a feature by adding it to your profile. You can also try out the Dynamic filter.

Accessibility (WAI & 508)
Accounting
Administration
Ajax
Articles & Submissions
Backlinks
Banner
Batch
BigBlueButton audio/video/chat/screensharing
Blog
Bookmark
Browser Compatibility
Calendar
Category
Chat
Comment
Communication Center
Consistency
Contacts Address book
Contact us
Content template
Contribution
Cookie
Copyright
Credits
Custom Home (and Group Home Page)
Database MySQL - MyISAM
Database MySQL - InnoDB
Date and Time
Debugger Console
Diagram
Directory (of hyperlinks)
Documentation link from Tiki to doc.tiki.org (Help System)
Docs
DogFood
Draw -superseded by Diagram
Dynamic Content
Preferences
Dynamic Variable
External Authentication
FAQ
Featured links
Feeds (RSS)
File Gallery
Forum
Friendship Network (Community)
Gantt
Group
Groupmail
Help
History
Hotword
HTML Page
i18n (Multilingual, l10n, Babelfish)
Image Gallery
Import-Export
Install
Integrator
Interoperability
Inter-User Messages
InterTiki
jQuery
Kaltura video management
Karma
Live Support
Logs (system & action)
Lost edit protection
Mail-in
Map
Menu
Meta Tag
Missing features
Visual Mapping
Mobile
Mods
Modules
MultiTiki
MyTiki
Newsletter
Notepad
OS independence (Non-Linux, Windows/IIS, Mac, BSD)
Organic Groups (Self-managed Teams)
Packages
Payment
PDF
Performance Speed / Load / Compression / Cache
Permission
Poll
Profiles
Quiz
Rating
Realname
Report
Revision Approval
Scheduler
Score
Search engine optimization (SEO)
Search
Security
Semantic links
Share
Shopping Cart
Shoutbox
Site Identity
Slideshow
Smarty Template
Social Networking
Spam protection (Anti-bot CATPCHA)
Spellcheck
Spreadsheet
Staging and Approval
Stats
Survey
Syntax Highlighter (Codemirror)
Tablesorter
Tags
Task
Tell a Friend
Terms and Conditions
Theme
TikiTests
Timesheet
Token Access
Toolbar (Quicktags)
Tours
Trackers
TRIM
User Administration
User Files
User Menu
Watch
Webmail and Groupmail
WebServices
Wiki History, page rename, etc
Wiki plugins extends basic syntax
Wiki syntax text area, parser, etc
Wiki structure (book and table of content)
Workspace and perspectives
WYSIWTSN
WYSIWYCA
WYSIWYG
XMLRPC
XMPP




Useful Tools