What name to give?
In Tiki, we try to have descriptive names for everything.
Ex.: Forums are called forums. It's clear, simpler and good for SEO. There will not be 2 discussion forum features so no need to have exotic names to distinguish them. Don't try to be fancy!
- Try to use a descriptive, already recognized term.
- Look on Wikipedia and at other software
- Better one word than two
- Try to avoid something that could be confused with another feature
and lib/prefs/* (where they are defined)
in lib/setup/pref.php (default value)
they all start with tiki_p_
So it could be tiki_p_view_history
Documentation and development pages
So, this feature should end up in the list of keywords
- doc.tiki.org/XYZ What the feature does
- dev.tiki.org/XYZ What we wish the feature did
- tiki.org/XYZ if we are Dogfooding for the community or require a gateway page.
How to handle integration with others?
BigBlueButton, Kaltura, Google Analytics and all the Interactions
- Should online services (ex.: Google Analytics) be treated differently than projects we bundle (ex.: Zend Framework) or integrate with? (ex.: BigBlueButton)
Arguments in favor of using generic term
Arguments in favor of using project name
- Some people may search via these keywords (esp if project is well known)
- It's a nice gesture to them
Wiki plugins renamed to something else
Problem: people think that plugins are features that are not included in Tiki. Example, in Firefox, not bundled features are add-ons or plugins
So in reality, what we have is "bundled plugins" which is a mouthful...
What else could we use?
- Macros appears to be used by other wiki engines (hmm, sounds like Excel macros... -1 — luci)
- MediaWiki has Widgets
- Gadgets ?
- Wordpress has shortcodes (http://en.support.wordpress.com/shortcodes/ and http://codex.wordpress.org/Shortcode_API)
- what else?